24 November 2010

Stand Alone (A One Woman Piece)

(Fade in on a lonely road..cold and grey..)

I am not seen as a thing of great beauty
And that’s okay.
My face wasn’t meant to launch a thousand ships.
Yet my body brings more bees to my flower..
And I strive to show more than this..
See..I may have exciting vibrations
That congregate about my hips..
And yeah, maybe there IS a little
Something intriguing about my lips
Particularly the way they sort of
Exude the energy that makes
Them think of kisses..

(Rain falling down a steamy window..pan over broken dishes on the floor)

Why is it that when you desire something
Or think that you have a grip..they pull away?
Leaving you wondering what has gone so
Terribly awry?
Why not speak the truth and get it over with?
Do you think I am going to go mad
And lunge after you with a rusty ice pick?
Please.

(Back to rain sliding down the window..sounds of wind rushing by)

Pain seems to be what motivates me..
See..it can be similar to a nagging feeling..
like a dull throb of a toothache,
Or the sting of when you bite the inside of
Your cheek..I relish it..and when the blood
Comes..it’s like a rush of pleasure..
Because it is the normalcy of it all
It brings depth to my measure..
I stand alone..

(Silence)

They take what they want, and they never
Want it again..go on..take everything
I want you to..because my head is like a
Hole..and when I seem to be the only one
Left on the ground..laying in my rightful
Place..they walk right around me..

(Close up on my lips turned down in agony..)

Pretend you never knew me,
and see me in your distant thoughts..
And you’ll probably forget about me..
I’ll be alone..
And that’s okay. You never had the balls
To admit your wrong doing..you never had the time
To let me know you didn’t mean a word you said..
(Wait..that's not part of the script!)

And if I have to walk this path until it cuts off
Abruptly..know that there are worlds other than this..
Other stages, other plays..other solo routines danced
By me..
And on one of those worlds..someone will desire me..
Enough to stay around for the final act,
Or
Give me a standing ovation..
Or
toss roses at my feet..
and even after the last
curtain falls..
The encore fanfare shall sound..
And I will be encapsulated
And bound
By the thing that I most yearn for..
Hearing his heart beating in unison
With mine..oh..how I’ll cherish
That hard to attain sound…

Until then, I stand alone.

(Lights cut off..total darkness..sound of heavy door slamming shut)

(Cut off broadcast)

(static)


(c) J.E. Nov 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment